If a cat appears to have gone missing, please follow these steps:
- Before contacting the cat owner, make sure you have thoroughly checked every nook and cranny in the house and listened very carefully for the smallest noises. Cats are masters in finding hiding places, you'd be surprised where you might find them. You can read more about it here.
- Make sure all doors and windows are closed as the cat might still be inside.
- Once you are really sure that the cat is not in the property, contact the cat owner immediately. It may have happened to them before and they know where their kitty might be.
- Ask the neighbours if they have seen the cat. They might know the usual hiding places or can help you look for it.
- If you can't get hold of the cat owner please contact their emergency contact.
- Indoor cats do not tend to run away, they are most likely hiding in the corner of the garden or in the neighbouring bushes.
- If you see the cat outside, approach slowly and carefully, never rush over in a panic. You might scare the cat away.
- Have some treats in your hand to tempt the cat out of its hiding place.
- If you can't see the cat, leave some food and treats outside to lure them back.
- Ask the cat owner if you can leave an item of their clothing outside (like a few socks), the familiar scent may help them find their way home.
- Ask the cat owner if it's safe to leave a window open so that the cat can get back inside.
- Always keep Cat in a Flat informed
Cat in a Flat
The Trusted Cat Sitting Community
Become a Cat Sitter. Join Here
How does cat sitting work? Watch Here
For cat care tips and info visit our Blog